Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Job Hunt

Now that I'm finally settled into a flat, it now comes time to commence the intensive search for jobs. I've been applying to any and everything I see. From pubs in central London to office positions all over the city. So far nothing has turned up. I finally got word back on the job I interviewed for and they turned me down. Oh well, I didn't want to work for their stinking college anyways (well... maybe I did). Today though I have an interview with a pub called "The Queen's Head" near Leicester Square. Hopefully I can get hired on there and then continue looking for a bit higher paying jobs somewhere else. That's about all the update for now, nothing much else is happening. My flatmate and I are getting along very well. Last night we watched the football game (soccer for you non-Europeans... which is just about everyone) between Manchester United, apparently the best team in England, and a Turkish team whose name I can neither remember nor pronounce. I was charged, by Alastair, the duty of researching football and to chose a team to support. I have yet to do this, I might save that for after my interview today.

P.S. Pictures of my flats (the old and new, so you can see the amazing difference) will be posted as soon as I get internet at home, which should be sometime this or next week.

P.P.S. English lesson for the day - restaurant terminology: "for here or to go" is "eat in or take away". Of course most Brits speak quickly and don't care to annunciate their words so this phrase sounds like a load of gibberish until about the 20th time you've heard it, then it makes sense (but until the 20th time or however many times it takes to become comprehensible, you stand around looking like an idiot, not knowing how to respond to what sounds like "et-in-or-tak-wey".

1 comment:

Family Sleuther said...

Dacia, Can I make a couple suggestions for a football team to support? How about Real Madrid, seeing as Beckham is no longer playing with Manchester United? Or even better, how about Real Betis (since I lived a few blocks away from the stadium in Sevilla)?! Good luck.