Friday, September 10, 2004

BUNAC and DU

(Note: I tried to blog earlier this week, but it wouldn't let me publish it so I'm going to try to rewrite my witty comments from the other day.)

On Tuesday I went to the BUNAC headquarters and did orientation. It was good to know that I'm not alone in the program (and that it really does exist ;) ) I was a bit disheartened though that many of the participants came with friends or on very planned out school programs. But I met some nice people and one guy, Richard, and I went to get lunch and cell phones. Then we went back to Bunac and starting looking for jobs and places to live. After that we topped off the night by meeting his friend and having dinner at a fun Japanese place and took in a play by the Reduced Shakespeare Company (which is actually made up of three Americans). They did "A Brief History of America" and it was great! Really funny guys. I can't wait to see their Shakespeare: Abridged play (supposedly all of Shakespeare's work in about an hour, or something similarly ridiculous).

The next few days have been spent pounding the pavement, so to speak, and looking for jobs. Thursday I met up with many alumni from DU and talked about London, living and working here, and other various things. The good news is that one of them, a girl from the international studies school, offered to let me stay at her flat next week while she's out of town, so no more hostel! (at least for a while). Also I got an email today offering me an interview at one of the universities I applied to before I came. So there you go. Now I'm off to find food and make some more contacts here.

No comments: