Friday, September 24, 2004

Golders Green

I have now most definitely found a wonderful place to live. It's north of the city but close to a tube line that will take me directly into the center of London. The neighborhood is called... Golders Green. I'll be living with one other person and we've talked enough to know that we have a lot in common. His name is Alastair, he just graduated from college as an English major. He's working at a PR firm here and just moved into this one bedroom flat that he converted into a two bedroom flat. (Basically he turned what would be the living room into his bedroom.) So he advertised a room to let online, where I found his ad, called him, met him and agreed to move in. I'll be moving on Saturday.

The neighborhood itself is a really nice, quiet residential area, that apparently is the Jewish heart of London. Lots of kosher food here! (Ironically, as I sauntered into a discount shoe store, looking to replace my over-walked, sole-stripped trainers - what we call tennis shoes - I was accosted by the owner after I inquired whether he had a pair of shoes in my size. He wanted to know if I was looking for cloth shoes for Yom Kippur... I said yes. I walked away wondering why I answered in the affirmative ,having really no idea what he was talking about, or why you would need cloth - not leather - shoes for Yom Kippur.) Anyways, the area is great.

Again.. out of time, more to come soon!

No comments: