Sunday, September 26, 2004

Flatmates

I can finally say that I have moved to London now. It took a while, but I found a flat and a flatmate that are both wonderful! Yesterday, Alastair meet me at the tube station near my old flat and helped me bring my bags up to Golders Green. I unpacked a bit, then we went out to IKEA and got some stuff for the flat and did some grocery shopping. Let me tell you how not fun it is to bring back groceries and home decor on the multitude of buses (ok... only two luckily) that it takes for us to get to the mall near here. Anyways, after that we cooked a pizza in our gas oven (another major adjustment for me - not the cooking part, the gas stove part) and had a little wine and watched Mulholland Drive. We then went around our little flat thinking of ways to improve upon the drabness of it all. So far we've decided to rearrange our bedroom furniture... and that's about it. But we do have some great ideas for the bathroom once we have money, time and inclination to act upon them. Today his mom and sister came to look at the place and they've gone to the center to do some touring things. I am just settling in a bit more into the place and running some errands. That's about all for now. Soon we'll be subscribing to cable television (we're both tv/movie/music/book freaks) and highspeed internet. So until then I'll keep coming to internet cafes. Which, by the way, I have recently found some actual "internet + cafe". The one I'm in now, for instance, has both computers as well as coffee and pastries. What more in the world could you want? Besides maybe a comforter for my bed (which I foolishly forgot to get yesterday and consequently froze last night between my two new fitted twin sheets, which are actually too big for my twin bed - they don't have flat sheets here, none that I've found at least. You just use a fitted sheet and a comforter... weird people.) So off to complete my shopping by purchasing all the things I forgot to pick up yesterday. Which was actually quite a bit.

P.S. English Lesson for the day - "pot holder" is "oven glove" here; learned that last night when I asked if we had a pot holder and Alastair looked at me like I was mad (crazy).

No comments: