Tuesday, April 05, 2005

'A World Away'

So, still in the Ukraine. I'm living with a babushka, grandmother, now. She's quite nice and we can basically understand each other for the most part. I can't write much now, as I should get back to her soon. Just had my first classroom experience. I was a hit apparently. More to come later, when I actually find an internet cafe. Right now I'm using the school connection and the keyboard won't allow me to use the 'shift' key, so I'm having difficulties typing capital letters. Anyways I need to get going PROMisE TO write soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pictures of you and Darren is so sweet! (Am I making you blush? Sorry!)

So fill me in on Ukraine. How's your babushka? Will you be living with her the entire time? I bet you're eating well right now! Any sirok?

And what age groups do you teach? How many hours a week do you have? What fun!

I know you must be so excited right now. I excited for you too.

Unknown said...

Yes, I'm blushing a little bit.. but they are quite cute, eh?

Babushka is good, but not like yours. She's only bought bread and sausage for me and that's all in the way of home-cooked meals. I did get a version of kasha but not a very good one. I think I'll be there the entire time, unless something drastic happens. No sirok in sight yet.

Age groups range from teenagers to adults. I'll be working mostly with the adults but visiting all the classes. I think they also teach children. This week I've worked about 30 hours already since Tuesday. But I will get a schedule next week and it should be less time.

I'm excited but forgot how hard it is to live in ex-Soviet states from buying groceries (no Maxidom) to the metro (no personal space.) I'm trying to remember how we managed in Petersburg.