Monday, April 11, 2005

All's well that ends well...

Well to break the hard truth to you.. I've been eating nothing but one loaf of bread and one length of sausage this whole week. I'm hungry and rather agitated. Today however things were settled. It was all of course a misunderstanding. (Not my starvation, that was well understood by me, but the reasons for it were not well comprehended by anyone.)

Apparently my babushka who was supposed to cook for me didn't know what I wanted and doesn't eat very much herself so I was supposed to buy my grocceries and tell her what I wished to eat. I was under the assumption that she'd buy and cook for two (her and I). Well I didn't buy anything (partly because I had no money) and neither did she (buy anything) beyond the original loaf and sausage. So... I've been gradually eating my supplies until they were gone this morning with my last two slices of a baguette and three slices of sausage for lunch. Then I went into 'work' - a make-shift language school with even less organization than the Fashion department in CSM, if you can imagine that, and voiced my frustration at the situation!! [Translation: I meekly asked about the second option for homestay and they asked why I didn't like this one. I said that babushka wasn't holding up her end of the deal as politely as calorie deprevation would allow and they informed me of the real deal. (That being I'd buy the food and she'd make it.)] Sergei, husband of Kate who runs the administrative side of the school, even informed me that babushka had asked him why I don't eat anything?! So there you have it - unknowing self imposed hunger strike. I wonder if this is how Gandhi got his start?

Needless to say I got paid today, a whopping $60 for the week (a nice 318 gryvnias). That should hold me over until next week. I plan to find a cafe tonight and gorge. So that's that. Amazing how the world looks so much better when you have some food in your stomach.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, from the tone of your e-mail and the general circumstances described within it, I think I can conclude that not much has changed in that bizarre part of the world that I love so much. Eat some blini, borsch or pelmyeni for me at that cafe! Some compote would be nice too...

Unknown said...

Nope, it hasn't changed much. I guess I just completely forgot about what it was really like. I plan to make a trip to a cafe later this week, possibly today and partake of all three food items mentioned washing it down with the greatest of joys - liquid bread. Beer.

Family Sleuther said...

At least babushka was kind enough to share her bread and sausage with you. If you'd been encroaching upon my loaf and link I would have been a bit more testy! Hehehe

So what's the market like where you buy food, and what kinds of staples will she be preparing for you?

Unknown said...

Well the original loaf came out of the pay for my room and board so technically it was mine. I know you don't like to share. :p

As for the market, ohhh, there will be a whole blog on that my friend. Oh yes.