Friday, November 19, 2004

Bonfire night

Moving right along, the Thursday before we went to Wales I had to go buy a new coat, one that would actually protect me form the Welsh country cold. So I went to one of the little shops down the street from my flat. I walked into one that I'd been in before, just to look around and I ended up getting a coat, a sweater and a pair of boots. I love the new coat and sweater, the boots will be important to the Wales trip story later. The boots are a nice pair of brown suede knee-high stiletto heels. Earlier I received a message from Bunac saying that everyone needed a pair of heeled shoes so that they can ride the horses. So having prepared myself in the shopping department I went on to the last day of the work week and the British version of Halloween, November 5th. Known as Bonfire Night or Guy Fawkes night or the Gun Powder Plot night. Basically a celebration of when Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Parliament with gun powder. Obviously he didn't succeed, he was actually rated out by a co-conspirator and later killed for treason. Now however they mark the anniversary of the day by setting off fireworks all over the country and set up bon fires (though I didn't see any of those in my adventures around southern London).

My friend Mary (from York and Stonehenge) and I decided to try and find some fireworks display way down south of the river, close to where she lives. So we met up there, the tube was an absolute mess! By the time we met up, we had missed the fireworks altogether. So we walked all up and down the football pitch and ate chips, candy floss and a toffee apple*. Then we walked all over Clapham Common, the area of London we were in, looking for a tube station for about a half hour before asking some rare 'locals' where we could find said transportation only to discover that the few tube stations around were all in three different directions, each about a 20 minutes walk away. We finally decided to return back to the one we had met at. Basically we had walked for over an hour for no particular reason, but we did have a nice chat, some exercise and visited a part of London neither of us had seen. She came to stay over at my house since we had to get up early to meet everyone at the tube station before heading off to Wales.

That's all I can muster for one night, it's been a long hellish week and I have to met Mary early tomorrow morning for a bit of a shopping spree. So I'll end with an English language session and then sign off for the night.

*English lesson:

British - American
football - soccer
candy floss - cotton candy
toffee apple - caramel apple
chip - fries
crisps - chips

No comments: