Monday, November 17, 2008

Mother Fucker I'm cold! And other fun stories...

Ok.. yes, I admit having lived both in Russian and Ukraine (even though I was in Ukraine in the spring/summer months) I have been colder than I am now, but not far off. While I was in England I realized why Colorado winters are so wonderful - no humidity. Its fabulous. Oh sure, we have snow but is the dry powdery stuff that with a few minutes of sun melts quickly. In England and now Ireland I'm confronted again with the cold and wet weather that seeps insidiously into your skin. No - not even into your skin... into your bones. Making any thoughts of warmness to come seem like crazy imaginings of a fantasy land that doesn't really exist. Where am I that I'm so cold I've decided to blog about it? In my class' private little attic office. It has all the modern conveniences - computer, printer, kettle, phone, even (as I so proudly informed my Sri Lankan classmate) - Lights! And yes, there is a heater as well. Wait, let me turn it on now. DOH! The dial is broken!! Of course, we can have high speed internet but no old-school water heater thingy. Ah... technology. Perhaps I'll just watch a youtube video of a roaring flame and psycho-semantically warm myself.

But its not all so bad, don't think I've been freezing this entire time. In actuality I love the weather here. (Yes, I'm a freak, we should have established this already.) I like the cloudy grey days and the drizzly rain. Although I'm not a fan of being caught in the heavy rainfall in a pair of jeans and a fleece that both get so soaked through I feel like I just went on one of those theme park log rides. But again, I do enjoy living in Europe and all its eccentricities. For instance, this morning I woke up to my radio alarm, set to the only station I can usually hear clearly, that is the classical music station, to hear that today is the 450th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth I's ascension to the throne. Huh. Fascinating. They threw it out there in between the weather report (you guessed it - more rain!) and the name of the next Baroque era song, in honor of good old Lizzy. And that so far has been all the learning I've done today, so I should stop playing around on the internet and get back to reading for classes.

Strangely, now I've bitched about it, I'm finding I've warmed up a bit. Nice.

3 comments:

Abbie said...

Best blog title ever.

Unknown said...

Thanks, even my grandma mentioned it to me. Although I don't think she enjoyed it quite as much.

The Halls said...

I remember living in Seattle and wondering if it were possible to ever be warm again. *sigh*