Sunday, September 21, 2008

Only what you need to survive....

Damn Mel Brooks. Oh, you heard me right. Once in junior high school I had to write a paper on the Spanish Inquisition. Tough stuff, you know? Horrendous torture and murder on a mass level. Nothing at all to laugh about. Unless you are Mel Brooks. The entire time I was typing about the persecution of Jews in Spain and beyond I kept hearing his catchy little tune of "the inquisition.. let's begin.. the inquisition.. what a sin!" (or something to that effect). And please, let's not even mention the synchronized swimming nuns!

Anyways.. good ol' Mel has done it again. As I prepared for the move to Ireland by packing up and storing and repacking and giving away a lot (for me, its a lot, for normal human kind its a drop in a very large bucket of crap) all my stuff, I kept hearing the voice of a wise man (possibly the great Yogurt himself) saying.. "bring Only what you Need to Survive."

In the end, I did alright. Too good in fact. Towards the end of the process I started leaving a trail of crumbs behind like I was Theseus trying to work my way back to the beginning. I not only left a towel and a washcloth behind at my house but also my razor (which I desperately needed as I was starting to look more like the Minotaur than a Greek heroine) but also I left behind.. somewhere.. my brand-spanking-new adapter plug that I had Just bought expressly for the purpose of coming to the UK. Ah well. Luckily one of my new flatmates was kind enough to lend me one of her's for the time being.

So now, here I am in Ireland and although I don't have my 'industrial strength hair dryer' I feel equally lost without my myriad of books and dvds to keep me company as I await the beginning of classes. At least I'll always have Mel...

Check out the video for some good cheap laughs.


2 comments:

Family Sleuther said...

I believe that this is what you were looking for, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKxnaMeOK20

Unknown said...

Damn, I got the words wrong. Thanks for setting me straight. ;)