Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Always connected

After months of slow progress (more slow than progress) and a hectic last couple of days I’m finally here. No, haven’t made it to Ireland. In fact I’m still in Denver, at the airport waiting for my flight to Newark and my stopover in New York for a few days. First, let me say that I love free wi-fi. Second, I do sometimes long for the days when you all you had at the airport to entertain yourself for hours was a book, tape deck (with one cassette tape that would play over and Over) and a deck of cards. For one thing, they were a hell of a lot lighter than even your superslim laptops. Also, it was a simpler form of entertainment. Anyone who knows me will know I’m no technophobe, but even as a moderate technophile I think now and again our desire for fast, better, fancier outstrips our good old imagination and ingenuity. Having said all that – would I give up my chance to check my bank account right before I board the plane or to chat more time with my friends? Probably not. Will I stay connected throughout the next 5 hours of flying and waiting in airports? Definitely not. Now its time to disconnect get back to a physical book and the world outside the web.

No comments: