Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Sod it – The end of Scotland and Ireland

The longest running blog entry is probably my sad attempt to describe my journey to Scotland and Ireland. Though I think I’ve hit upon something in my narrative styling I’ve lost all interest in continuing trying to write it all up and post it here. Therefore here is a very, very brief description of my trip.

I had a great time and spent too much money.

No but seriously, Scotland was amazing, especially Edinburgh. I would love to go back and live there for a while. And it was great to meet up with John and drink and chat like old times.

Ireland was gorgeous. Long story short – I missed my plane from London initially and had to play catch up with my tour group. I missed Galway and the Cliffs of Moher and met up with them in Doolin, travelling the width of the country on a coach (bus) via Limerick – “the only good thing to come out of Limerick was a road to Dublin”. Then we continued on to the Dingle Peninsula and through County Tipperary back to Dublin where we stayed for a few days including New Years. The tour group was mostly Aussies with only two Kiwis (New Zealanders) and two Americans besides me. They were cool enough people but seemed more interested in getting pissed (drunk) than on meeting the locals or even venturing out on their own. So let’s just say that we didn’t really see eye to eye on how to behave while travelling through another country. Honestly there were some lovely people and had we met in different circumstances probably would’ve got on splendidly. As it was however I learned more about Australia than I did about Ireland which is all well and good, except for the fact I did it while in Dublin! I didn’t really feel like I was in Ireland except for the five minutes we spent in Dingle and my camera wasn’t working then so I have nothing to show for it! So actually my trip to Ireland rather sucked especially when contrasted with the best weekend of my life, which was this past Easter weekend trip to Cornwall. Ireland as well as Italy are both now on my “redo” country list. Those places I need to go back to and do it right. Luckily I think I’ve completed a good go of the UK and am satisfied to leave, though I’ll be leaving behind some amazing friends, most of whom I’ve only just met.

Not to be a quitter I will try and finish writing up in narrative form a detailed description of my trip including the not-so-amusing-then-but-rather-laughable-now tale of how I missed not one, but two, count ‘em two planes. When I have that completed I’ll post it here for those who are interested, which I suppose would be anyone who actually comes to the site, seeing as they made the effort to type in the address.

Stay tuned Batgirls and boys for the next episode in the journey of one crazy nutter – The Trip to Coooorrrnnwaaaall (said in slow like Cornwellian accent).

1 comment:

Family Sleuther said...

Have a safe trip. I'm thinking good thoughts for you. Call me when you're there.