Friday, March 11, 2005

Scotland and Ireland – Take 2, Scene 2, Hogmany…a week early

I got off the bus, walked out of the station and John was standing right there. Smoking as usual. We didn’t hug or shake hands, we just did the “Hey” – head bop thing. It was like we hadn’t seen each other in only a few days. Even though its been three years.
Arriving in Edinburgh was an amazing experience in itself. As you head east from Glasgow you see the Castle to the south. It looms over the city, devoid of life except for the throng of tourists that come to ogle at the impressive structure where once the heart and soul of this city was centered.
Anyways we walked to my hostel, found it, I checked in then we went to have some awesome fajitas at a bar called Native Son. After that he had some errands to run and I wanted to chill a bit so we parted ways but said we’d get together later for drinks. I went back to the hostel (Brodies 2) for a bit then went walking around.
Edinburgh is a city of architecture and nature. Each street has a character and face all its own. Go a little beyond the city and there are mountains as beautiful as the city is vibrant. It is a breathtaking scene. A meditative scene.
She wanders the streets watching the human activity that buzzes around her creating the incessant noise of holiday-makers. Over there a couple stops for a quick smooch on a park bench. There two boys try to knock each other off their skates while a very young girl and her mother swerves to avoid them. A few more phone calls. “Merry Christmas everyone! Yes, I’m in Scotland, it’s freezing but beautiful! Yes, I’ll be careful and stay warm. It’s off to Ireland next. Call again soon.”
John called and we made plans to get together later. So about quarter to eight he met me outside the hostel and we went on a pub crawl really and chatted for 4 or so hours. Well about midnight, we said goodnight and he pointed me in the direction of my hostel.

No comments: