Thursday, October 07, 2004

All the small things

Have you ever noticed that it's the little things in life that make all the difference. I've found that every day living here has taught me something new (and usually exciting - see previous "bus ride" post). Allow me to take a moment and list of few of the little things that make me chuckle, ponder, cringe and all out remember why I came to England in the first place. (Consider it my Top 10 list - 8 at least)

  • When people say "goodbye" on the phone, their voice rises interminably higher than the entirety of the phone conversation, possibly being the only polite bit about the whole call.
  • How every sink has two taps, for hot and cold, and when it says hot they mean it!
  • How when you've just finished scalding your hands with the hot tap, and go to use the hand dryers, you're blown back by the sheer force of the air coming from them.
  • Passing by rather shabby looking fellows who will randomly yell at someone beside them that is apparently only visible to themselves.
  • Watching my more druken neighbors stumble about trying to get off the tube.
  • Noticing my own vocabulary evolving to help myself be understood, i.e. use of "lieu" rather than bathroom (which is literally a room with a bath tub here) or the more vulgar sounding (for Americans) toilets.
  • Being asked by my South African colleague if my parents are farmers in Colorado (the most interesting stereotype I've come accross here.
  • Being told by an Indian shop owner that I am a pretty girl, but I shouldn't gain any more weight or I'd become ugly.

Now I'll end with the English lesson of the day: a "lie-in" = to sleep in; and a DIY shop = Do It Yourself store (like Home Depot)

No comments: